Friday, January 31, 2014

Start Where You Are. Use What You Have. Do What You Can.

Arthur Ashe's quote, used in the title of this post, is a quote I honestly need to embrace. I often fresk myself out because I simply do not recognize the problems I am given, and then all heck breaks loose. However, this quote does not only apply to just the aspects of my life but to many characters in books, political movements, and other people. In A Doll's House Nora starts where she is as a young wife whose husband is stressed to near death, so she uses what she has, a father who disappears, to put it nicely, and a husband who would probs believe his "Little Squirrel" in his distressed state. There is more to Nora than what meets the eye, she did what she had to do to keep her family together. She wanted to protect her Prince Charming, which she realized was a mistake at the end. He was not the person she thought he was.
Now this last week of January has been long, and hard, and just not fun. I know midterms and play practice is nothing compared to what Mariam has to suffer through, or what Edna had to go through finding herself. But ahhhhhh, it is very difficult being organized when you constantly hear "Sarah!" "Sarah!! SARAH!!!" being yelled from all over the place. Also having people who just stand in the way of big furniture is simply frustrating. Yet, there is something very rewarding in it. A freshman retweeted that her stage manager rocks, which made me feel very special. Sometimes all it takes is a simple smile and an introduction and they'll like you 9 out of the 10 times. As we mentioned in the Socratic Seminar, all children need to be successful to to feel loved and needed. I use "I love you" almost constantly, as it is nice to see people get a smile on their face. Sometimes they seem relieved, and honestly I can relax around them as well. It is nice having people willing to help you as your name is way overused during the course of then 2 hour rehearsal. Im also getting into shape by running around constantly, so there is always a positive side. So whether knowing you are having a baby like Mariam, or you find an escape in piano music like Edna, there is always some ray of hope.
So I will end this blog the same way I began it.
Start where you are.
Use what you have.
Do what you can.

1 comment: